Monday, December 15, 2008

KML 3D Buildings in Los Angeles

I thought I would make the buildings I extracted for the 3D City Construction webinar last week available - you can now download them from here.

I'll talk about the tools used to create these another day, but this allows you to take a look at a photogrammetrically-derived quick and dirty city model. It doesn't have all the buildings and they're not all perfect, but it does give you an idea of what's possible. These took me about 8 hours to extract - using anaglyph-mode on my laptop (perhaps less time, I didn't time myself). It would be more efficient to use a proper stereo viewing environment but a laptop works fine for smaller jobs.

Note that if you open the file in Google Earth they'll have the floating effect described here on Thursday... So if you want to follow the workflow described in that post you can grab the terrain from here: both the IMG grid and the RRD pyramid layer.

No comments: